No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better...

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

NTR

Well, that's it then.  An earthquake and a hurricane in the same week.  Definitely time to pack up and go home.

In fact, it wasn't bad at all.  I know there are people without power still and some who are dealing with flooding.  But the house of NKK was entirely unscathed.  In fact, the only danger was that we might have died of boredom.

We had a friend visiting for the weekend.  We had planned to go to see this, and to have lunch here.  And of course to do some shopping here.  And we had tickets to see this.  On Saturday, we did spend an inordinate amount of time in Anthropologie before it closed.

But then we were forced home.  Not by winds and hurricanoes but because everything was shut.

So we stayed in. And ate (sorry, no photos - too busy eating).

And we played lots of this:


And tried not to squabble over the made up words.

At some point I decided to 'style' my hall...




(It's not quite there yet -still working on it.  Think I have the ingredients but haven't worked out what to do with them yet.)






I am collecting hearts - one for each year Mr. P and I have been married.  I don't get them on any particular day, just when I see one I like.  Although the feathers were bought as a bit of a joke on our first married Valentine's Day and I liked them so much, they've stayed.



And I like how they contrast with the simplicity of the other two.



I bought the mirror at the local flea market in the first year we moved here.





And the lamp came from a local shop.


But really, it was just all an excuse to find a home for this pretty, bought on Saturday.  (It is essential that you buy a vase on the morning a hurricane is due to hit.  Or I suppose it could be vintage china, or a jug.)



It reminds me of some kind of sea creature.



Anyway, after we'd eaten ourselves silly and drunk too much wine, we went to bed with all the blinds down and a feeling of anxiety that we might wake in the night to the world ending.  But Sunday arrived more or less on time, and it was all, well, normal looking really...

Sure, it was a little overcast and damp.  And there was NO ONE on the streets at midday.


But all in all, it just felt like a wet Sunday morning.  And by 3pm, it had all cleared up.


So, that was it.  The NKK Guide to Surviving a Hurricane.  Re-style your hall.

Hope everyone else was as lucky.

C.x

5 comments:

  1. I am glad you survived it all - I remember lying awake the night of the 1987 storm over here and thinking that the world was coming to an end. And here in old Blighty it is just grey and dismal and not a good drying day - I won't complain after what has happened your way.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds and looks like a lovely way to spend a hurricane!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing vase! Love, love, love it! Glad you survived the storm unscathed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it wasn't more than a wet day for you -- we had high winds here and about 12 inches of rain in 24 hours; our power (and therefore our water) was out for about 2 days. At least it was low tide and no trees fell on my house, but I was really glad when the power came on and I got my running water back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are ok. I was thinking of you when I heard the news. You have some rather lovely things! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...